Tuesday

Cashmere Crew Neck from John Lewis


I've always wished for a wardrobe of gorgeous cashmere classic knits. The wardrobe staples that stand the test of time, made from the softest warmest most luxurious wool. So when John Lewis asked if I'd like to road test their classic Cashmere Crew Neck, it didn't take me long to accept the challenge.

I thought it would be an interesting challenge also as the idea of saving up to buy cashmere basic knits appeals to me but when push came to shove in the past, I always opted for less expensive lambswool or merino. So would road testing this knit every day for a week, make me realise the worth of buying quality cashmere?
I was sent a Black Crew Neck Cashmere knit in a size 10. Fit wise, it's perfect for this style of jumper. Neat without being clingy but with enough room to wear a layer underneath, which I did on a couple of the days. 

I wore it casually and for work. On my body shape (long torso), it worked better with skirts and in fact it made me rediscover my skirt love.
In terms of cashmere quality, I do have one cashmere jumper I got in TK Maxx a couple of years ago but I have to say, it doesn't close to this jumper in terms of softness. It's huggable, strok-able, doesn't feel scratchy on the skin and is a joy to wear. But the bonus is how warm it is. I wore it on one of the really frosty nights with just a leather jacket over and I was snug as a bug. Which makes me think it would be amazing on a winter night out worn with a blingy necklace and coated jeans. 

My mother in law was over the other evening and I showed it to her as she knows her cashmere better than most. She was lamenting the quality of the cashmere in another large store but when she saw and felt my John Lewis jumper, she thought the quality was extremely good. That's one hell of an endorsement!

Over the week of wearing, I was particularly interested to see if I'd have any balling under the arms or on the side and I'm pleased to report back that I've not had any...yet. I'll update the post in this regard after a few months. I should say, it's not unusual to have some piling with cashmere over time but it's most frustrating if it happens after only a few wears.  I'll also update the post when I've washed it. It says it's fine to wash in a machine at 40 degrees - I don't like to wash knitwear too often as I think it always lasts longer if you don't. Airing is your friend here...and a good deodorant :)

Would I repurchase? I already have asked for the grey for Christmas....so that counts! Stick to the classic colours you know you'll wear day after day and you'll get to enjoy it so much that the price per wear becomes negligible.

Thanks to John Lewis for inviting me to take part in this challenge and for giving me a new expensive habit. You can check out the whole cashmere range on this link.

Ax
Disclaimer : I was gifted the jumper but was not paid to write the post. All words are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support this blog (and keep me warm).

Share:

5 comments

  1. I bought the turtle neck in black a couple of weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised at how lovely it is. And the price is excellent - £89. I'll definitely be buying more colours but need to do the wash test first (lol) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the turtle neck in black a couple of weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised at how lovely it is. And the price is excellent - £89. I'll definitely be buying more colours but need to do the wash test first (lol) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit John Lewis quality is as usual fabulous. So versatile too. x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see the appeal of having cashmere in basic colours that you will wear and wear. I've always opted for the cheaper knits so far though! It looks great with the denim shirt underneath. Jane x

    http://arthursmum.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had a John Lewis black cashmere polo neck for approx 15 years and it is in fantastic condition to this day . I must say the cashmere was better quality then as thicker than my John Lewis of 3 years old but hopefully the 3 year old will stand the test of time !

    ReplyDelete

I’m not actively monitoring the comments on this blog anymore. Please contact me in Instagram instead @avrilkeysblog or email me avrilkeys@yahoo.co.uk

© Avril’s Blog | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig